Friday, February 21, 2020

The Traveling Office

As an adjunct professor you rarely have much of an office.  You might have access to printer services or a printer.  You may have a desk and a room.  But much of the time, you have nothing.  So what's an adjunct to do?

I have heard of people that have the trunk of their car organized for each campus, for those that work multiple campuses.  I once had a rolly bag full of everything I thought I would need.  But it always came up short.  And now, my classes are at bad hours (nothing is open) and I have no office.  So I am re-evaluating what I need again.

Right now, I have my Big Red Book, my Chrome book, and a few office supplies in my bag.  What I am planning to eventually include are the BRB, a laptop, portable scanner and printer, possibly a small projector, and office supplies in a bag.  That's a lot of stuff.  But it is stuff I need at weird times, like needing to print out something because I am short something, needing to scan in student papers so I don't lose anything, and a million other things. 

One day, maybe, adjuncts will be treated more equitably within the college structure and we won't have to plan out how to create the best traveling office.

No comments:

Post a Comment